Is it true some hospitals do not accept private health insurance

Learners Quest

Valued Contributor
Credits
$2.24620
If you're not familiar with the basics of US healthcare, it can be a little overwhelming. It seems like everybody has a different system and it's easy to get lost in the confusion. One thing that people often forget is that some hospitals will not accept private health insurance. But why?

While many hospitals have contracts with local health plans, unfortunately some hospitals are what are known as "non-participating" providers — they just don't work with any private company whatsoever. These providers usually offer extremely low rates or other incentives to make up for their lack of private coverage, but this isn't always practical for everyone.

"I am enrolled in a plan through my employer," said one reader of Quora. "My wife is not. My baby is still with the hospital, but my options are to:
(1) pay up to $20,000 for his care, or
(2) keep looking for another hospital."

In the case of a non-participating provider, your only option may be to visit another hospital that accepts private insurance – either by checking their list of participating providers or calling and asking – since they may not be listed on the outside (though some states have websites listing all of their participating hospitals). It's also possible that this could affect more than just you and your family.