State Farm Should/can I get a second estimate?

Hal900x

Credits
$0.00000
Hi all! I received some cosmetic damage and State Farm's insured accepted blame. I took it to my favorite shop, who happened to be in State Farm's "preferred" shops category. I know this isn't always ideal but I had positive experiences in the past at this shop. But their estimate seems low considering the damage and comparing it to my previous estimate there for a separate incident on my other car. I am concerned that I may receive a low cash settlement or that the work will be rushed/poor because of it being low. Note that this vehicle has significant existing damage and the estimator seemed quite interested in this, asked me if i planned to repair it, whether I wanted an estimate for that as well (no was my answer, it would be prohibitively expensive) and took pictures of the old damage. All this did not sit particularly well with me.

I called State Farm today and they told me the shop has not sent them the estimate and won't until I choose between a cash settlement or a repair. Can I still go elsewhere, to someone out of State Farm's network, for a second estimate to allay my concerns? I'm in California. Thanks!

I would recommend you check elsewhere to get a second and third estimate. After an automobile accident, drivers should try to obtain at least 3 repair quotes. One such estimation should come from a repair shop.

Brendi

Credits
$4.07100
I am concerned that I may receive a low cash settlement or that the work will be rushed/poor because of it being low. Note that this vehicle has significant existing damage and the estimator seemed quite interested in this, asked me if i planned to repair it, whether I wanted an estimate for that as well (no was my answer, it would be prohibitively expensive) and took pictures of the old damage. All this did not sit particularly well with me.
Because you have no idea of what the settlement may actually cost i will suggest you look for second estimate to have a second opinion of what your settlement is supposed to be.

I called State Farm today and they told me the shop has not sent them the estimate and won't until I choose between a cash settlement or a repair. Can I still go elsewhere, to someone out of State Farm's network, for a second estimate to allay my concerns? I'm in California. Thanks!
What time did you call them compare to when you reported to the shop. If is just little time difference or an hour you may need to give the shop some hours to reach out to them. Second opinion the shop may already know what it will cost and just want you to accept a lower settlement.